In these hi tech days of mobile phones, satellites, wi fi, and the like, there is one item of age-old significance, which in many places still makes the final link in a communication connection possible. With all the wireless and cordless technology available, so often the final link in a landline connection is supported by a humble telephone pole. In rural areas this final connection can be carried for several miles on such poles.
Many years ago as a trainee telephone engineer I had to learn about the production, preservation, preparation and erection of telephone poles. Only specific types of trees are grown for telephone poles, as they have to grow tall and straight. When at the right stage of growth, the trees are felled and stripped of their bark and undergo a preservation process which involves high pressure impregnation of a preservative – (this used to be creosote).
Several analogies can be drawn from this illustration which may help us in our Christian walk. Here are a few of them:
1. We are specifically chosen for a purpose ‘For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight’ (Ephesians 1:4).
2. We need to be upright and straight in all things ‘make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him’ (2 Peter 3:14).
3. Something of us, our ‘soulishness’, needs to be stripped away, so that we can be of use to Jesus. ‘Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles’ (Hebrews 12:1).
4. We have been preserved and given eternal life by the blood of Jesus ‘He entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood thus obtaining eternal redemption’ (Hebrews 9:12).
5. We need to be deeply anchored and secure in Jesus ‘Continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him’ (Colossians 2:6-7).
6. We need to be strong in Him to be able to carry the load He requires us to carry ‘being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience’ (Colossians 1:11).
We may think we are insignificant in what we are able to do, but as long as we are where God wants us to be, and doing what He has planned and prepared us to do, we may be that final link in communicating something of the heart of God to those who need to hear.
Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to be the person You created me to be. Help me to always be available to be a ‘link’ to others, that You can use. Amen.
Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship. Provided full acknowledgement is made to Seeds of the Kingdom as the source, you are also welcome to use it in a non-commercial way and reproduce it in magazines or other Christian websites. The copyright for any commercial use of the material remains with Ellel Ministries International.