I was recently talking to a young friend who was considering a significant move for himself and his family. This move would be to relocate a considerable distance and join a new Christian organisation, which had offered him an attractive position. It was potentially a big step for them all and he was struggling to make up his mind as to whether it was the right move.
As we talked, it seemed that he needed to ask himself some serious questions and allow God to give discernment, as he and his wife considered their answers. Many of his friends had given advice, but he was determined to give God the opportunity to speak. He admitted that he’d been flattered to be asked to join this new group but he knew that his decision must be based on the Lord’s direction and not on people’s good ideas.
Together we listed some questions to help him face the issue with reality:
1. How would he describe his personal vision in God’s plans and purposes?
2. What was the corporate vision of the Christians with whom he was serving at present?
3. What was the corporate vision of those whom he was considering joining?
4. How did his personal vision match these corporate visions?
5. What spiritual gifting/ministry did he consider himself to be currently expressing within the Body of Christ?
6. How did others with spiritual maturity see his gifting/ministry?
7. Would the proposed move develop that gifting?
8. What was the true heart motivation for considering the move? Was it a need for change - difficulty with the current situation - the opportunity in the future situation or a desire for significance?
9. How did his wife and children respond to the proposed move?
10. Did their personal vision fit with the move?
11. Would the proposed move develop their gifting?
12. How did mature brothers and sisters in the Body of Christ (not affected by the move) respond to the proposed next step?
As they worked through the questions, they found themselves able to see God’s point of view more clearly. I don’t believe God’s waiting to punish us if we make mistakes in the important decisions in life. But He does desire us to seek His guidance and enjoy planning the future with Him.
Prayer: Thank you Lord for your promises of guidance in Your Word. Help me Lord to always listen to Your voice before making hasty decisions without prayer or proper thought. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.